The Sea of Tranquility
By: Katja Millay
Atria Books
November 13, 2012
Source: Netgalley (Thank you!)
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars










The Sea of Tranquility is a story of recovery and second chances.  Nastya is the new girl on campus, dresses provocatively, keeps to herself and doesn't speak a word, ever.  Josh is a recluse with a tragic past.  Paths cross.

To be entirely honest, I didn't know what this book was about when I picked it up.  I didn't know if I was embarking on something paranormal, contemporary, romantic or comedic.  And the best thing about this book is that it is just real.  It wasn't cornered into a genre, but it was just a good story.  There was romance and a funny best friend and trauma and all the feels.

I enjoyed the writing immensely.  This book came at a time in my reading life when I was losing faith in YA and feeling like it was losing it's credibility.  This book turned it all around for me.  The writing was smart and creative and literary.  Her characterization was not cliche or predictable.  The story was believable.  It was mature and yet juvenile enough for it's characters.  They were 18, and they weren't forced into some genre-demanding behavior, but they acted like 18 year olds.  They talked about sex a lot and they were selfish at times and obnoxious at times and infuriating at times.  Unlike so many other young novels I've read, this book reminded me what it was like to be a teenager again.

This is the book everyone is talking about, and they're talking about it for a good reason.