Whew! I apologize for not posting all week.  I'm adjusting to school and let's face it, I'm very good at putting things off.  So here we are for another week of The Book Chat.  This week, I'm excited to announce that I will begin recruiting co-hosts for the book chat and our first co-host is Miss Brighton of Dear Brighton!
Brighton has been participating in the link up for a few weeks now and I just love her enthusiasm for books and blogging.  Plus, she's just a super sweet gal who shares many of the same favorites as me.  I finally have someone to gush about J.R. Ward novels with, so you guys are off the hook.
Please go over and say Hi to Brighton.

simplebrighton


Okay so today's question (suggested by Brighton) is...
What are some of your bookish pet peeves?
This is a great topic because sometimes while I'm reading, I get so irked by the littlest things that I start to spur off entire blog posts about it in my head.  Those posts never make it to life, so now is the chance!

1. Being clumsy is not a flaw.  Why are all teenage girls clumsy?  I feel like authors need a way to set their female characters apart from other girls and make them more down-to-earth and relatable, so they make them clumsy.  And that's just not enough.

2.  On that note, Edward was 90 years old.  Did that occur to anyone?  Just because his body didn't age doesn't mean he's exempt from being a total creep hitting on 17 year old girls.  You were alive during Woodstock, the moon landing and the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Imagine a real man who was alive for all of those things and imagine Bella making out with him.  Gross.
The same goes for a multitude of other YA paranormal novels.  Don't mean to pick on Twilight so much.

3.  Hard back book covers.  What is the purpose of those things?  I can't stand them so I just take them off.

4.  The person who keeps their library book far, far past the due date when I have a hold on it.  I'm talking to you, guy who's had Ender's Game since August.

5.  Dying and/or flickering book light.  Give me some warning if you're going to crap out halfway into a good chapter.

6.  Audiobook readers who feel it necessary to over dramatize the opposite gender's voice.  Hearing a male reader read a girl's line in a super high voice sounds like something out of Monty Python.  All I'm picturing is a man dressed as a woman.  The same goes for females pulling out their baritone for male lines.  Just read the damn book.

7.  No, Barnes & Noble, I don't have a members card and No, I don't want a members card.  Bump your discount up a bit, and maybe it will make me feel like a member, and not a schmuck.

8.  Nicholas Sparks movies.  We get it, they found love in an unexpected place.  Let's move on.

9.  Spoilers.  Seriously, some people have no restraint.  Thanks, it's not like I can un-hear that!

10.  Long chapters.  I can't just put the bookmark in halfway through a chapter.  But if I'm falling asleep and it's another 8 pages to the end, I will torture myself.

11.  Loose ends.  I love a good ending that wraps everything up nicely where all my questions are answered, and I have closure.  It doesn't have to be a happy one, but I hate endings that leave me with so many questions.  I'm looking at you, Perks.

12.  I think I've mentioned this before, but I cannot stand when people touch me while I'm reading.  If I'm reading in bed, Jeremy's foot cant even be touching my foot.  The kids will want to cuddle up with me while I'm reading on the couch and it drives me nuts.  I have to just put my book down, because who doesn't want to cuddle with their kids? (me, sometimes)

I'm sure I can think of more.  Probably after I read all of yours, I'll think of more.  Sorry if that sounded kinda gripey.  I've been holding those in for years!  It was nice to just get that all out!

I seriously cannot wait to read yours.  What are some of your bookish pet peeves?  It can be anything pertaining to books or reading.  It doesn't have to be like mine. I hope you choose to link up!

Photobucket



Look, some new rules!

To join in...
1. Please follow the host and co-host 
2. Visit a few other book chat links and show some support.
3. Link back here in your post.  Or use the button provided.
4. Old posts are always welcome if you have blogged on the topic before.

Next week's topic: What are you currently reading?  Share your thoughts.

If you are interested in co-hosting the book chat, please email me! I'd love to work with you.


Photobucket