First off, I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this novel. It's about a teenage girl, Ever, who is living with the ghost of her best friend, Frankie. She tries to get over the romantic feelings she has for him and begins a steamy relationship with her neighbor, Toby.
Based on that synopsis, I thought this book was going to be so different than it was. I went from thinking I was going to dislike it to not being able to put it down. It really exceeded my expectations.
Here's what turned me off at first...
* YA cliches. SO many. Unfortunately, YA is chock full of cliche's these days, and they are just getting tired and worn out. However, the novel did eventually surprise me and left those cliche's in the dust. Hallelujah.
* The story started sort of abruptly. I felt like the storytelling lacked a little creativity when introducing characters. (If this throws you off at first, keep going. It improves tremendously.)
* Some of the characters, like the Mom and best friend, were slightly obnoxious for my taste. (They too, get better)
Even with those things bugging me at first, the author does a great job of keeping you confused, but in a good way. It's a page turner, for sure! I kept wanting more of characters like Frankie and Toby. I still had no clue what was going to happen even as I was finishing it and I love that.
Here's what I loved about this book...
* The romantic tension was some of the best I've read in all of YA. Dare I say, this was the hottest YA book I've read. You may think that's a good thing or a bad thing. In it's defense, it was equally as sweet, and I really enjoyed the tender moments between Ever and Toby and/or Frankie.
* The paranormal aspect was a surprise. I knew before reading it that there was a ghost, but that doesn't always mean it will be a paranormal novel. I just expected a romance, but it had that mystery and excitement that only a paranormal romance can offer.
* The cliffhanger ending! nuff said.
You will like this book if you like...
* Obviously paranormal romance, but even if you don't like YA, you will still probably like this book.
All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I finished it in a weekend and annoyed my husband with constantly having my Kindle glued to my face. I cannot wait for the next installment!
Links to find this book:
Amazon // Goodreads // Kobo // Barnes & Noble // Curiosity Quills Press
Only $3.99 for the digital version! You can't beat that!